Environmental protection and sustainability
Because vacationing in the Austrian Alps requires an intact natural environment, we as tourism experts see it as our special duty to protect it. Therefore, the topics of environmental protection and sustainability have always been very important to us. Whether on the subject of energy, the careful use of drinking water or in the selection of our products: In running our business, we have committed ourselves to the strict criteria of the Austrian Ecolabel because we take our responsibility as business operators in the Zell am See-Kaprun region seriously and want to make our contribution to environmental protection.
The Austrian Eco-label is a comprehensive certification system that sets minimum standards and rewards special commitment in the following areas:
Reducing energy and water consumption, reducing Co² emissions, limiting the amount of waste, using renewable energy sources, using products that are less harmful to the environment, preserving the natural diversity and cultural heritage of the region, promoting the regional economy, promoting environmental communication and environmental education among guests and employees.
We expect our guests to approach nature with the same awareness as we do and are happy to support them in making their vacation more sustainable and environmentally friendly. The following areas are particularly close to our hearts:
- Sustainable mobility on arrival and during the stay
- Economical and conscious use of drinking water resources
- Waste prevention and separation
- Focus on regional food and sustainable production conditions
- Support for local businesses and avoidance of unnecessary CO² emissions in the transport of goods
- Preservation of local cultural heritage and handicrafts
- Saving energy on a large and small scale
- Selection of sustainably produced operating resources and focus on environmentally friendly and certified products
Our guests receive an environmental information folder asking them to help in the following areas:
- Please do not leave any consumers running unnecessarily and turn off the lights when you leave the room.
- Too cold? Too warm? Please regulate the room temperature via the thermostat controller and let us know if something is wrong with the radiators in your room.
- If possible, please use towels more than once. Washing is not only energy and water consuming, but also the environment thanks you!
- Our water comes from our own spring and has drinking water quality, high mineral content and little lime. Please handle with care when consuming!
- Refrain from buying PET bottles for still mineral water. We will gladly provide you with a glass bottle that you can fill with our excellent tap water!
- Please help us reduce waste. When shopping, look for environmentally friendly packaging and give preference to reusable containers over disposable ones.
- Waste separation is mandatory. We will be happy to do this for you, but would appreciate it if you could make our job easier and, for example, keep plastic packaging or paper separate. Don’t just throw your trash in any garbage can and ask us if we can help you separate it!
- Our foodstuffs used in the company are mostly from the region and are of the highest quality. This is especially true for the meat and dairy products at our breakfast buffet.
- We do not like to throw away food and therefore we would like to ask you to take only what you actually eat at the breakfast buffet.
- Please understand that during off-season periods the buffet may not be as lavishly stocked. We are a small operation with almost no food processing options aside from breakfast. If you have a specific request, let us know, we will be happy to get you your favorite breakfast!
- We support environmentally friendly travel by train and bus. We will gladly take over the transportation costs for your arrival or departure from the train station to our house, or pick you up personally, if possible!
- Take advantage of the public transport services in the region. With the summer mobility card, these are available to you free of charge. In winter you can also use the buses with a valid ski pass.
- Our region has many beautiful hiking and walking trails. Use them! We know that the way back to our house is not always easy – but we also know the proud faces of our guests who made it after all!
- Our house impresses with its quiet location close to nature. This contributes to the well-being of all guests and we want you to enjoy this place. Therefore, we ask for consideration for other guests and compliance with the quiet hours (10 pm to 7 am).
- Our tip: Take a few moments every day and soak up the atmosphere: The closeness to the forest, the mountains all around, the wonderful fresh air, the silence in the morning or in the evening. Enjoy, feel and listen carefully: This is nature, our habitat, a miracle. Help to preserve them!
We hope that the above information has given you an overview of our activities and values with regard to environmental protection and sustainability. If you have any other tips for us on how to make the vacation in Zell am See and especially in Pension Margarete more nachhatliger, we listen eagerly! We are always striving to improve and believe that together with our guests we have a responsibility to preserve and protect our environment in the best possible way. Let’s work together on this, we look forward to sharing!